PES President: “Europe must find a solution and not miss this window of opportunity “
Ahead of the Euro Summit on Greece, Heads of State of the PES family met to discuss solutions to the Greek crisis. Sergei Stanishev, President of the Party of European Socialists said: “Today there is a window of opportunity for Europe to avoid a real catastrophe. Europe should not miss it. A solution must be found to maintain Greece in the Eurozone. I am very proud of the catalytic and constructive role that the PES family is playing throughout this crisis.
It will take good will and compromise from all side to ensure that this last opportunity is not lost.
The Greek government needs to take the necessary steps to show that it has a credible, trustworthy response, and the real commitment to implement it. It must engage quickly the commitments it has announced.
It is crucial that swift and effective support is provided to Greek citizens through this very difficult time as the basis for a lasting recovery.
This crisis has shaken the Union but we must not let populist anti-Europeans use this as an opportunity to unravel the European project. Europe needs to become once again the champion of social cohesion and equality.”
List of participants:
- François Hollande, PS France
- Sigmar Gabriel, SPD Germany
- Werner Faymann, SPÖ Austria
- Joseph Muscat, LP Malta
- Fofi Gennimata, PASOK Greece
- Jean Asselborn, LSAP Luxembourg
- Pedro Sánchez, PSOE Spain
- António Costa, PS Portugal
- Diederik Samsom, PvdA The Netherlands
- Frans Timmermans, European Commission
- Maros Sefcovic, European Commission
- Martin Schulz, European Parliament
- Gianni Pittella, S&D Group in the EP
- Sergei Stanishev, PES
- Achim Post, PES