The XI PES Congress took place on 7-8 December in Lisbon, Portugal. Hundreds of delegates from the PES Member parties across Europe gathered to debate key issues ahead of the 2019 European elections and to acclaim the PES Common Candidate, Frans Timmermans.
The Congress was organised with the invaluable support of PS Portugal.
As in previous years, activists and organisations from the social democratic family made a big contribute to Congress.
In advance of the Congress, PES Women organised its Annual Conference on 6 December - Violence against Women in Politics: A cost to Democracy.
The Congress approved eight resolutions addressing key issues facing Europe today. These resolutions will form the basis of the PES manifesto for the 2019 European elections:
- For a Europe of gender equality and empowered women (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- Progressive economy (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- Social Europe (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- A healthy environment and food, green growth and modern industries (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- For a stronger democracy in Europe (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- For fair and progressive asylum and migration policies that work for all (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- Empowering youth (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- For a fair, sustainable, peaceful and prosperous world (EN, DE, ES, FR, PT)
- The PES to train 15000 activists for European elections
- PES will strengthen a weakened Europe, re-elected PES President Sergei Stanishev pledges
- Party of European Socialists set out ‘blueprint for a better society’ ahead of European elections
- Frans Timmermans launches campaign to become President of the European Commission in Lisbon
Check all the Congress photos on Flickr