Activists gather for first day of PES Council
Events surrounding the Party of European Socialists 2016 Council kicked off today (Thursday 1 December) with a gathering of hundreds of grassroots activists from across the European Union and beyond.
Activists are meeting in Prague to exchange views with party leaders, in a series of one-to-one conversations focused on how to mobilise support for the 2019 European elections.
There will also be TED-style talks from a range of contributors who will share their personal experiences, including Sedef Cakmak, a city councillor from Istanbul, and Declan Meenagh from the Irish Labour party.
At the same time, the annual conference of PES Women is taking place under the title ‘Power to Women’ – tackling the issue of women’s labour market inclusion as well as work-life balance for both women and men.
The conference will be addressed by Jindriska Marsova, President of CCSD Women, and German secretary of state Elke Ferner.
Both activists and PES Women delegations will meet together in the evening for a show of solidarity to mark World AIDS Day.
The main PES Council proceedings begin tomorrow, with an opening address from PES President Sergei Stanishev followed by a series of workshops, debates and campaign events on a wide range of topics.
Notes for editors
- You can register to attend the Council on 2-3 December.
- The full programme of the Council is available to download
- Or you can follow proceedings on social media using the hashtag #PESinPrague, or via livestreaming from the new PES homepage (starting Friday afternoon).
- Photo and video resources for the media will be made available throughout the day on social media and at the PES Flickr account
- The full statement of World AIDS Day solidarity will be available soon.
For more information
- Contact PES press officer Toby Wardman on +32 491 86 97 48 or email@example.com