PES Council in Lisbon to decide on common candidate & debate future of Europe
Socialists and democrats from around Europe are preparing to gather in Lisbon for the PES Council on 1–2 December, where they will adopt a strong resolution on the future of Europe and decide on the process for choosing a common candidate for the president of the European Commission in the 2019 European elections.
370 delegates from Europe's progressive parties will be attending the event, along with nearly 200 PES activists and guests from the EU countries and beyond.
Prime ministers, national ministers and party leaders will discuss current political challenges, and hundreds of party activists will exchange experiences from campaigns across Europe.
The PES member party Partido Socialista (Socialist Party) from Portugal is co-hosting the event, and Prime Minister António Costa will be one of the main speakers.
Key issues featured in the draft resolution, and subject to votes, include:
- improving quality of jobs and social protection
- sustainable and fair economic development
- protecting democracy and eliminating discrimination
- fighting climate change and tackling international security
- projecting progressive values around the world
The annual event will also include workshops, training sessions and conferences organised by PES and its partners, including MEPs from the Socialists & Democrats group in the European Parliament and the Foundation of European Progressive Studies (FEPS) think-tank.
PES Women will also meet for their annual conference on the day before the Council, Thursday 30 November, under the title 'From gaining to owning power'.
- View the full agenda, including plenary, workshop and training sessions, at https://www.pes.eu/en/about-us/the-party/council/lisbon-2017/.
- Watch the PES homepage for regular news and updates throughout the event, including links to a live video feed of the main debates.
- Journalists are welcome to attend throughout the Council, including for the PES Women conference on 30 November. To register your attendance, visit our media registration page at pes.eu/en/news-events/events/council-2017-press-registration. (Registration for delegates and activists is now closed.)
- There will be a press conference with António Costa, prime minister of Portugal, and Sergei Stanishev, president of the PES, on Saturday 2 December at 11:45.
- If you are unable to attend the event and would like to receive daily email updates, subscribe to our media releases and press advisories by completing the form at pes.eu/en/press.