PES welcomes new Rainbow Rose board
PES LGBTI Associate Member, Rainbow Rose, has elected a new board at its annual General Assembly in Madrid.
During the gathering, hosted by the Spanish Socialist Worker’s Party (PSOE) and their LGBTI network LGBTI PSOE, a new nine-member board was elected to take forward policy motions to advance LGBTI people’s lives and rights across Europe.
PES President Sergei Stanishev said:
“On behalf of the whole progressive political family, I would like to extend congratulations to the new members of the board. Rainbow Rose has been at the forefront of the fight for a more equal Europe and I have every confidence that, in this spirit, those who have been elected today will continue advancing this worthwhile mission.”
Newly elected Rainbow Rose President, Camila Garfias, renewed the call for action over the next two years, saying:
“We in the LGBTI community must not take our successes for granted. We have an unequal Europe when it comes to our rights, and often still live in fear of violence or persecution. The top priority for the new board will be to push our agenda with our sister parties, and then to support them in getting into government. A radical change in laws and society for our LGBTI community will only come from social democrat, socialist and labour parties”.
The General Assembly was an opportunity for the various delegations to touch base with each other on best practice, exchange ideas and establish closer relationships for future collaboration. Among the guests of the assembly were prominent progressive politicians and LGBTI activists such as Marije Laffeber, PES Deputy Secretary General, Zita Gurmai, President of PES Women, Susana Ros, PSOE National Secretary for Violence Against Women, Omar Anguita, IUSY Vice-President and JSC Secretary General, Alicia Homs, YES President and S&D MEP, and many more.
The new nine-member Rainbow Rose board for the next two years is:
- Camila Garfias (SoHo, Austria) — President
- Jose Ángel Santoro (Grupo LGBT del PSOE, Spain) — Secretary General
- Sam Van de Putte (Rood, Belgium) — Treasurer
- Joseph Duggan Lyons (Individual Rainbow Rose Activist, PSOE, USA) — Vice President
- Carola Ebhardt (SDP Queer, Germany) — Vice President
- Ian Dylan Thomas (LGBT Labour, United Kingdom) — Vice President
- Dajana Bakic (SDP BiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina) — Board Member
- Vilma Vaitiekunaite (Lithuanian Social-Democratic Party, Lithuania) — Board Member
- Alize Hugozon (HBTS Sverige, Sweden) — Board Member