#PESTalks livestream to set out recovery for people, jobs and the economy
Europe needs a recovery which works for people and the planet. #PESTalks: a plan for people, jobs and the economy will see key figures from the progressive movement discuss socialist and social democratic plans to rejuvenate Europe post-COVID19.
Tune in to the PES Facebook page on Tuesday 23 June from 18:30 to watch commissioners and leaders from the PES map out a fair and sustainable recovery alongside trade unionists and academics.
Europe cannot go back to neoliberal austerity which cut wages, social protection and public services in the last decade. Socialists and democrats are pushing for an alternative which has the European Green Deal and the Social Pillar at its centre.
PES President Sergei Stanishev will introduce the event, which will feature:
- Frans Timmermans, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission for the European Green Deal
- Paolo Gentiloni, European Commissioner for Economy
- Elisa Ferreira, Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms
- Iratxe Garcia Perez, President of the S&D Group in the European Parliament
- Tytti Tuppurainen, Finnish Minister for European Affairs
- Svenja Schulze, German Minister for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety
- Ana Mendes Godinho, Portuguese Minister for Labour, Solidarity and Social Security;
- Paul Magnette, Leader of PS Belgium
- Pelle Hilmersson, Deputy General Secretary of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC)
- Ann Pettifor, Director of Policy Research in Macroeconomics at PRIME
- Damon Silvers, Policy Director of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations
- Xavier Timbeau, Principal Director of the Observatoire français des conjonctures économiques at SciencePo
The livestream will be moderated by Karen Kaneza, Co-Chair of the African Diaspora Youth Forum in Europe.