Reinventing the European economy
High-level party representatives, ministers, MEPs and members of national parliaments from the PES political family, trade unions and the civil society will discuss how to make globalisation work for everyone in a conference in Brussels on 12 October. Influential academics such as economist Jeffrey Sachs will participate.
Ahead of the conference, PES president and host Sergei Stanishev said:
"We must make sure that we achieve growth in the European economy -- not growth for some, but growth for all -- growth with rights. We must enable the European economy to protect workers from poverty salaries, zero-hour contracts and unfair competition, especially in the digital economy."
The conference is aimed at developing ideas on how to boost sustainable and green growth and how to invest on social cohesion.
High-level speakers include:
- Sergei Stanishev, PES president
- Jeffrey Sachs, US economist and advisor to the UN
- Nicolas Schmit, Luxembourg minister, chair of PES social & employment ministers network
- Ylva Johansson, Sweden minister for employment
- Luca Visentini, confederal secretary of ETUC
- Susan George, board president, Transnational Institute
- John Crombez, leader of sp.a Belgium
- Matthias Fekl, former interior minister, France
- Matthias Machnig, state secretary for economic affairs, Germany
Thursday 12 October 2017
09:45 - 16:30
Polakzaal, Résidence Palace
Rue de la Loi, 1040 Brussels