PES Europe Ministers welcome Frans Timmermans and call for balanced eurozone policies
The Ministers of European affairs discussed the progress achieved on the files with regards to the deepening of the economic and monetary union.
The chair of the network, German Minister for Europe Michael Roth, urged the Union to pay equal attention to monetary, economic and social policy.
Michael Roth said:
"This past weekend the PES Congress welcomed our common candidate, Frans Timmermans, and agreed on an ambitious programme that lays out our common vision for a progressive and fair Europe and for the upcoming European elections. My dear friend Frans is a strong candidate and we have a convincing strategy that keeps social rights, democracy, wellbeing, the safety of our citizens and sustainability at the core of our strategy. Frans has full support from all PES Parties and he will lead a convincing election campaign."
"Thanks to the work of progressive governments throughout the EU. The eurozone is now better equipped to resolve future banking crisis. We have to take all necessary measures to make sure that a financial crisis never again falls on the shoulders of the taxpayers. But this is not enough. Creating the conditions for a more stable financial sector is nothing without a booming economy. Social and economic inequalities are a major concern. We have to continue promoting our progressive agenda that includes social and economic convergence."
The meeting was attended by:
- Michael Roth, Minister of State for Europe, Germany (Chair)
- Helena Dalli, Minister for European Affairs and Equality, Malta
- Ana Paula Zacarias, Secretary of State for European Affairs, Portugal
- Frans Timmermans, First Vice President of the European Commission, European Commission
- Giovanna Pareschi, Head of Political Planning and Strategic Partners Unit of the S&D Group, European Parliament
- Yonnec Polet, Deputy Secretary General, PES
- Marije Laffeber, Deputy Secretary General, PES