PES European Affairs Ministers meet in Brussels
Today, 18 November, Ministers from the PES family in charge of European Affairs met to coordinate their positions ahead of the General Affairs Council in Brussels.
The ministers had the opportunity to exchange on the need of an ambitious, realistic and rapid European Investment Plan. This has been one of the flagship demands of the PES for the past years, as a tool to relaunch growth and jobs, and put our economies on a sustainable track.
The ministers insisted on the need to promote a credible and efficient mechanism to address systemic threats to the rule of rule of law in the EU Member States. This has been a key PES priority, and questions of democracy and fundamental rights will be further discussed at the PES Democracy and Society Network Conference on 21-22 November in Vienna.
The ministers also discussed key aspects of energy and climate policy, and agreed to establish regular meetings of this kind to continue enhancing common progressive positions.
List of presence
- Harlem Désir, Minister Delegate for European Affairs, France
- Michael Roth, State Secretary for European Affairs, Germany
- Dimitris Kourkoulas, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs , Greece
- Margot Wallström, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Sweden
- Enrique Guerrero, Vice-President, S&D Group in the European Parliament
- Yonnec Polet, First Deputy Secreatry General, PES